Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My mind is spinning

I just got off the phone from a 2 hour conversation with one of my oldest friends. We haven't talked, I mean really talked, in years and had so much to say. Now I am wide awake and have a million things on my mind.

The biggest thing is my follow up appointment in the morning. I guess I should start with the discovery I made in Aug. When I was 15 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease and was given chemo for 6 months and then a month of radiation to the chest area, the tumor was behind my sternum. This August I learned that one of the main chemo drugs, adryomicyn, can cause weakening of the left heart muscle causing cardiomyopothy. I then learned that radiation to the chest area can increase that risk. This apparently is only common in childhood cancer survivors and doesn't show up untill 10 to 15 years later. I am going on 14 years in remission, so if you know me you know my mind started thinking too much and I started worrying....yes I know worrying is a sin, but still I did!!! I made an appt with Dr. Gadasalli and after an EKG, Echocardiogram and bloodwork I was given a clean bill of health. Dr. Gadasalli said he liked the way my heart looked and the bloodwork determined that there is no fluid around my heart...YAY!!!!!!!

While talking to Dr. Gadasalli he asked why I was taking prilosec and for how long. I told him it was because of the acid reflux and for about 3 1/2 years. He didn't look so pleased and then he informed me that the radiation could have caused damage to my esophagus. My thoughts were "CRAP" one more thing. He made me an appt with Dr. Vemuru, a GI Dr., that following Tuesday. Dr. Vemuru sent me for bloodwork to test for GERD and Sprue disease and then I had an Endoscopy 2 weeks ago.

So the big thing on my mind is my follow up appt in the morning. Dr. Vemuru did a biopsy of my intestine to further test for Sprue, but also put me on meds for IBS, Irritable Bowl Syndrome. Basically I find out tomorrow exactly what is wrong with me. Oh yeah, I have a hiatal hernia which is the main cause of the acid reflux. Apparently when you gain weight your stomach pushes on the hernia causing acid reflux. So the main treatment is to loose weight.....just great, now I will have a Dr. drilling me about loosing weight. Guess I need it though.

Guess I should try and get some sleep. Night

No comments: